Thursday, August 13, 2015

Light in the Darkness

Does anybody remember singing this as a child? “This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine. Hide it under a bush "oh no!" I'm gonna let it shine! Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine..”
I loved to do the hand motions for this song, particularly the one about not letting the Devil blow out the light, which I represented with my finger.  As adults, it is easy to forget the simplest of concepts that we learned as children.  John 1:4-5 and 9 tells us Jesus is the source of light: "In him was life;and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in the darkness; and the darkness comprehended not..That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world." This made me really start to reflect and ask myself, "how brightly do I allow my light to shine?" If you are like me and find your answer less than perfect, it is easy to start making excuses for yourself. Our country is becoming more and more liberal and the views and laws are resembling our Biblical beliefs less and less. It is hard to bring up God in your workplace or school for fear of offense or reprimand. It is easy to get caught up in worldly things and forget about your light altogether.  If we are too afraid or too busy to share God with others aren't we just hiding our lights “under a bush”? 1John 1:6-7: "If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." In a world that is growing darker, it seems even more imperative to shine the light Jesus has given us.  If our light cannot be seen then it won't be very hard to extinguish. Silently wishing for things in our country to get better does not bring results, but prayer can. Matthew 18:20," For where two or three are gathered together in my name there am I in the midst of them." Let's stop wishing, start praying and shine on.


No comments:

Post a Comment