Friday, October 23, 2015

Busy

The months of September and October have been extremely busy for my family.  In September, we finished remodeling our new house and finally had the privilege to move in.  I have yet to meet someone who loves moving and I am no exception.  Now that we are for the most part finished, I can sit back with a sense of accomplishment but the process is so tedious and exhausting.  We were not able to press pause on our normal schedule of kids, work, church and community events.  So our most productive times were at 8:00 pm after the kids had gone to bed.  We had previously used this time to rest.  
Today is the first morning I have had in a long time to take for myself.  I decided to go out for a run/walk.  There is something about being out in the country air, alone, that is so peaceful.  I have felt distant from God these past couple months, until today. As I was walking, the verse Psalm 46:10 came to my mind "Be still, and know that I am God".  I suddenly knew that I had been too consumed with staying busy. Sometimes my life goes into seasons of "busy-ness" for reasons that are out of my control, like with moving.  But sometimes, I think I stay busy just because I cannot say "no" or because I honestly want to be busy.  When I am busy I am not thinking about all that is wrong with the world or my life.  I am just surviving the day, thinking about what task needs to be accomplished next.  I may still go to church or do my daily Bible readings but I am not slowing down to seek God's presence.  I am not seeking his guidance in all areas of my life.  Phillipians 4:6: "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." I am not sure about you, but when I stop seeking God and asking for His guidance in my life, things can feel a bit shakey like a wheel with a loose screw about to come flying off.  I am thankful for the opportunity to slow down today and that God showed me it was much needed.

1 comment:

  1. Amen!!! Totally, totally, totally with you and feel ya on this one. Great post, thank you!!! Congrats on getting settled!

    ReplyDelete