Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Priorities

Have you ever overextended yourself with too many commitments? There are so many days that I feel like there just isn’t enough time for all that I need to do.  I tend to start subconsciously prioritizing everything on my to do list. At the end of the day, I have completed  the things that are of upmost importance to me.  Reading about Hannah in the book of first Samuel really made me question where God is on my priority list.  Hannah wanted a child desperately but was unable to conceive.  She cries out in anguish to God and vows in 1Samuel 1:11 “..but will give your maidservant a male child, then I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life..” God answered Hannah’s prayer with a son, who she named Samuel, meaning “Name of God” or “Offspring of God”.  After Samuel was weaned, Hannah took him to the house of the Lord in Shiloh.  She says in 1Samuel1:27-28, “For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of Him.  Therefore I also have lent him to the Lord; as long as he lives he shall be lent to the Lord.” Hannah was able to keep her vow to God even when it meant she had to give up the person she wanted most.  God blessed Hannah for her faithfulness and she had three more sons and two daughters but none were as special as Samuel.  At times, I want to think I have my priorities in order: God then family and so on.  I have to wonder if I could give up something as valuable as Hannah did to keep a promise to God?  I have had days that I struggled  to give up enough time in the day to pray and read my Bible.  The words of Jesus come to mind in Mathew 22:37 when he says that the greatest commandment is “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.”  If we make it a point to live by this commandment, not only will we want to make time for God, keeping our promises to him will be a top priority,  no matter the sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment